Terms used in Bible prophecy
Differences between common terms; Wrath of God and wrath of the Lamb
God’s wrath and the Lambs wrath seem similar but they differ, understanding their differences will help you in understanding the time frame a prophecy is talking about.
• God’s wrath is God’s vengeance that will be poured in ‘the Day of the Lord’ as written in Bible prophecy, while the Lambs wrath will be poured after the false prophet has forced all men to worship the beast and to take the number 666 in form of the 7 plagues in Revelation.
- God’s wrath will be His vengeance upon ALL mankind for breaking His laws, while the Lambs wrath will be poured on those who will refuse the message of salvation in Jesus Christ as it is written;
• Isaiah 24 See, the LORD is going to lay waste the earth
and devastate it; he will ruin its face and scatter its inhabitants 2 it will be the same for priest as for people, for the master as for his servant, for the mistress as for her servant, for seller as for buyer, for borrower as for lender, for debtor as for creditor.
3 The earth will be completely laid waste and totally plundered.
The LORD has spoken this word.
4 The earth dries up and withers, the world languishes and withers, the heavens languish with the earth. 5 The earth is defiled by its people; they have disobeyed the laws,
violated the statutes and broken the everlasting covenant.
6 Therefore a curse consumes the earth; its people must bear their guilt.
Zephaniah 1;2 “I will sweep away everything from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD. 3 “I will sweep away both man and beast; I will sweep away the birds in the sky and the fish in the sea— and the idols that cause the wicked to stumble
“When I destroy all mankind on the face of the earth,”
declares the LORD,
Zechariah 13: 8 In the whole land,” declares the LORD,
“two-thirds will be struck down and perish; yet one-third will be left in it. 9 This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The LORD is our God.’”
- The saints will be affected by God’s wrath for the purpose of being refined and purified before they are in the presence of the Lord but they will not go through the wrath of the Lamb for there is no more condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. God cannot stand sin and thus, the purpose of God’s wrath will be to change the attitudes of men towards sin as His Wrath cleanses the earth of sin in preparation of the His second coming
Malachi 3:2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap.
- When God’s wrath is poured people learn righteousness
Isaiah 26:9 … When your judgments come upon the earth,
the people of the world learn righteousness
- The Righteousness of God will be shown through His Wrath as He starts His vengeance in His own house with His own people
1 Peter 4: 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.
Daniel 11:33 “Those who are wise will instruct many, though for a time they will fall by the sword or be burned or captured or plundered. 34 When they fall, they will receive a little help, and many who are not sincere will join them. 35 Some of the wise will stumble, so that they may be refined, purified and made spotless until the time of the end, for it will still come at the appointed time.
- God’s wrath will purify the saints, while condemning the wicked who will not change their ways;
Daniel 12: 10 Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.
- At that time, Israel will go through the great lamentation while Christians go through the great Tribulation. Those Christians who die at that time, will be the blessed, and will take part in the wedding supper of the Lamb along with the first fruits from Israel the 144,000 who are sealed in Revelation 7 and talked of in the 5th seal in Revelation 6. Together with the 144,000 they will be resurrected when Jesus comes back at the first resurrection. The 144,000 were part of the early church who were persecuted after Jesus Christ ascended into heaven.
- Those who will die for their faith at the end of this age is the great multitude that no one could count spoken of in Revelation 7.
Revelation 7: 9 After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice:
“Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”
And so it is written;
Revelation 12: 11 They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death
- The Lambs wrath will be poured by the seven angels with seven plagues from heaven while God’s wrath will be unleashed through the second horseman who takes peace from the earth in the second seal. The red horseman is also the Assyrian spoken of in Isaiah and the destroyer who will rise with a large army compared to swarms of locust at the blowing of the fifth trumpet to take peace from the earth, and through him, God’s wrath will be poured upon all mankind, as it is written;
Isaiah 10: 5 “Woe to the Assyrian, the rod of my anger,
in whose hand is the club of my wrath! 6 I send him against a godless nation, I dispatch him against a people who anger me, to seize loot and snatch plunder, and to trample them down like mud in the streets.