Names and symbols used for the end time anti- Christ in prophetic writings
Bible prophecy is full of symbols, understanding these symbols will make it easier as you read through the prophetic writings. in these article we look at symbols and names of the anti-Christ in Bible prophecy. You can also find this and more information in a video on Youtube. A long post and video, but worth reading and viewing.
An anti-Christ is anyone or any organization that is against the Truth and opposes the Light of Jesus Christ in himself or others by claiming to be the Messiah (the savior of mankind) or to have information that leads to eternal life as opposed to the Message of salvation in Jesus Christ. Several names are used to describe the end-time anti-Christ;
- 7th head of the dragon -is a name that shows the relationship between the anti-Christ and the dragon or devil. Six heads of the dragon have ruled so far, the 7th head of the dragon is about to rise to power along with the ten horns of the dragon as described in Revelation 17 and revelation 13 as the end time anti-Christ.
Revelation 17: 9 “This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads … 10 …are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while.
12 “The ten horns …are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast. 13 They have one purpose and will give their power and authority to the beast. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled.
In Revelation 13, the ten horns have received power and authority to rule as shown by the ten crowns on its horns; Revelation 13 The dragon stood on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, (ten crowns on its horns indicate the horns have received power and authority to rule)
God’s purpose is that through the 7th head and the ten horns, His vengeance is poured upon the earth and the city of Babylon which is the throne of the devil is destroyed as indicated in Revelation 17:16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire.
- The lawless one is used to describe the nature of the anti-Christ, he will not adhere to the rules/commands of the Most High but will break them, speaking against the Most High God and taking a blasphemous name.
2 Thessalonians 2 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.
- The beast out of the sea in Revelation 13:1 … And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, …
A beast is used several times in Bible prophecy, In Daniel 7, a beast is revealed to be a kingdom; Daniel 7:23 “He gave me this explanation: ‘The fourth beast is a fourth kingdom that will appear on earth. It will be different from all the other kingdoms and will devour the whole earth, trampling it down and crushing it.
In Revelation 17, a beast is revealed to be a king, therefore, a beast represents both a kingdom and a King; Revelation 17:11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.
A sea is a mass of water, in Revelation 17, water has been revealed to symbolize people from all nations and languages; Revelation 17: 15 Then the angel said to me, “The waters you saw, …, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages.
Therefore, the name ‘beast out of the sea is a symbolic name used to show:
- the anti-Christ will rise to power from among the people of all nations and languages possibly through elections.
- The end time anti-Christ will represent both a kingdom and a king (from the word beast)
- Assyria –This is a name used mostly in Isaiah and other prophets to identify the end of age anti-Christ.Assyria was a kingdom that existed in the past but never ruled the whole earth as it will at the end of this age. The Assyria kingdom was aggressive and ruthless in dealing with its enemies.
Assyria as a name for the anti-Christ to show the spirit of the Kingdom that will inspire him and what he will represent as the 7th head of the dragon. An example of the use of this name;
Isaiah 10: 5 “Woe to the Assyrian, the rod of my anger, in whose hand is the club of my wrath! 6 I send him against godless nation, I dispatch him against a people who anger me, to seize loot and snatch plunder, and to trample them down like mud in the streets. 7 But this is not what he intends, this is not what he has in mind; his purpose is to destroy, to put an end to many nations.
In Isaiah 10:5-7 , God will unleash His vengeance on the earth through the Assyrian, to punish the wicked for their sins. Assyria’s ruthless nature is shown in his desire to destroy many nations. As opposed to what is desired of him to do.
- The red horseman with a sword, is a name used in the second seal to show the time period or in which sequence he will rise to power and his purpose on Earth; he will rise during the re-unsealing of the seals after the events of the first seal have taken place and commanded to take peace from the earth, and thus, his matching out will be the start of end time chaos and destruction on earth.
Revelation 6: 3 When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come!” 4 Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make people kill each other. To him was given a large sword.
- Destroyer– The name destroyer is mentioned in several parts of Bible prophecy including Jeremiah and the fifth Trumpet. The destroyer is a descriptive name, indicating the kind of work the anti-Christ will rise to do. As a destroyer, he will command the largest army that has been compared to swarms of locust.
Revelation 9:7 The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle….11 they had king over them an angel of the Abyss whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is Destroyer)
Jeremiah 51:1, 14, This is what the Lord says:
“See, I will stir up the spirit of a destroyer against Babylon and the people of Leb Kamai. 14 The Lord Almighty has sworn by himself: I will surely fill you with troops, as with a swarm of locusts, and they will shout in triumph over you.
Jeremiah 48:8 8 The destroyer will come against every town, and not a town will escape.
The valley will be ruined and the plateau destroyed, because the Lord has spoken.
The above bible verses simply mean the anti-Christ will be the commander of a large army that is compared to swarms of locust. With that army, he will invade and destroy the city of Babylon as indicated in revelation 17. He will also come against all towns and nations, no nation will escape except the Edomites, Moabites and ammonites as confirmed in Daniel 11:41.
- King of the North– This is a name that shows where the end time anti-Christ will be from. The Name is used in Daniel and mostly Jeremiah. The Northern kingdom will be made of an alliance of nations from the North, and the king of this alliance, will be the anti-Christ. In Daniel 11, the king of the north will match into war with the southern Kingdom (Egypt and other African states) at the river Euphrates, a war described in the 6th Trumpet where a large army will fall.
- The fallen star– is a name used in the third trumpet and fifth trumpet. Stars are those who acknowledge the message of salvation as taught by Jesus Christ and share it with others leading them to the acceptance of eternal life.
Revelation 8: 10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.
The anti-Christ will start as a star, (a Christian) and grow in power to become a Christian leader. His growth as a Christian is detailed in Ezekiel 31. Pride will cause his fall as a Christian. At his fall he will desire to bring many down with him by seducing them with wealth positions and land, as written in Daniel 11:38-39, thus his name, fallen star
- Angel of the Abyss is a name used in Trumpet five. As a fallen star, the anti-Christ will receive the keys to the bottomless pit to let free the spirit and kingdom of Babylon, who once was, now not yet will come out of the abyss and go to his destruction.
Revelation 9 The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. 2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. 3 And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. 7 The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. 11 They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer).