Symbolism used in the beasts of Revelations 13
Revelation 13, mentions two beasts that will rise at the end of this age, the beast out of the sea and the beast out of the earth in Revelation 13.( These are also the same beasts mentioned in Revelation 17
Revelation 13 The dragon stood on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.
- A beast is a symbol for both a kingdom and king revealed in Dan 7:23 and Rev. 17:11 respectively
- a) A kingdom revealed in Daniel 7:23 “He gave me this explanation: ‘The fourth beast is a fourth kingdom that will appear on earth.
- b) A king revealed in Revelation 17:11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.
The word beast therefore = both a kingdom and a king, who are part of the seven heads of the devil,
- The sea is a mass of water, and water is a symbol for;
Revelation 17: 15 Then the angel said to me, “The waters …, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages.
- Therefore, the beast out of the sea = a kingdom and king who is part of the seven heads of the dragon, and who will come from a multitude of people from all nations and languages.
To fully understand who a beast is, it is important to understand who a dragon is.
- The dragon is revealed in Rev. 12:3,9 as;
Revelation 12: 3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
The seven heads of the dragon are beasts who are kings in Revelation 17:9-11
- The 7 heads of the dragon are; Revelation 17: 9 “… The seven heads … 10 … are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while. 11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.
- Six of the seven heads of the dragon have fallen since the sixth head was in power when the prophecies were given and the 7th head has not yet come but when he does come, he will remain for only a little while. One of the seven heads who ruled in the past will rise again at the end as an 8th head though he belongs to the seven.
- So what is the connection between the devil and the beasts? The seven heads of the devil are also the seven beasts; we understand this from the description of the beast who once was, now not yet will come up out of the abyss.
Revelation 17: 9 “… The seven heads … 10 … are also seven kings. …11 the beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.
The beast who once was is grouped amoung the seven heads and referred to as a beast, meaning, the 7 heads are also seven beasts. Six of these beasts have fallen, the 7th beast will rise at the end of this age, followed by the beast who once ruled, now is not yet will rise again as an 8th king.
- The kingdom out of the sea is described to have; Revelation 13:1 …and I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.
The description of seven heads and ten horns is to imply its part of the dragon or devil as the same description is used for the beast “who once was, now not’ in Revelation 17. This description is however very crucial in giving us more information about the ten horns and when they rise to power. In the description of the beast out of the sea, the beast has seven heads, ten horns and ‘ten crowns upon its horns’. Ten crowns upon its horns imply the horns have received their power to rule confirming, the kingdom and king from among the people is the one who rises along with the ten others to power as it is written;
Revelation 17:12 “The ten horns …are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast. 13 They have one purpose and will give their power and authority to the beast. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to hand over to the beast their royal authority, until God’s words are fulfilled.
We already know : The dragon = the devil or Satan, Revelation 12:9 . The sea is a mass of water. Water =; people multitudes nations and languages as revealed in Revelation 17:15 and beast =kingdom and king who belongs to the seven heads of the dragon as revealed in Dan 7:23 and Rev.17:11.
Thus Revelation 13: 1 “the dragon stood at the shore of the sea imply, the devil will influence the people’s action in the rise of this kingdom and king to power.
Thus, beast out of the sea=The kingdom/king who is part of the seven heads of the devil (7th head specifically). This kingdom and king will rise from among the people, and will arise along with ten others, (10 horns of the devil) to power. The devil will influence the people from different nations and languages in the rise of this king and kingdom.
- The beast out of the earth
Revelation 13:11 Then I saw a second beast, coming out of the earth. It had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon. 12 It exercised all the authority of the first beast on its behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed.
We already know; beast=kingdom and king as revealed in Dan 7:23 Rev 17:11 respectively
- Two horns like a lamb– A Lamb symbolize Jesus Christ, The Lamb of God who took away the sin of the World. To have a physical appearance of the Lamb means this kingdom and it’s king will physically appear to be a church and or a believer of Jesus Christ.
- But spoke like a dragon– A dragon symbolizes Satan as revealed in Rev 12:9, thus to speak like a dragon means to act like Satan, out of the overflow of the heart (heart and mind make the soul) the mouth speaks.
- Out of the earth = up out of the Abyss, that describes the (beast)kingdom/king who once was, now not yet will rise from the abyss and go to his destruction mentioned in Revelation 17: 8 …The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come. 11 The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.
Therefore, the beast from the earth=kingdom and king who once was, now not, yet will come up again at the end of this age. He will rise as the 8th head of the dragon though belonging to the seven. He will be a kingdom and king that will physically appear to be a church or believer of Jesus Christ, yet he will have the soul of the devil and thus, he rises to continue the devils agenda.
In conclusion, two kingdoms and kings who are part of the seven heads of the dragon will rise at the end of this age.
- The kingdom and king who will rise along with ten other kings (leaders) to power. This kingdom and king, along with ten others will rise from among the people from different nations and languages. It’s rise to power will be influenced by the devil. This kingdom and king will be the 7th head of the devil and will have a blasphemous name. (As a kingdom, the 7th head of the devil will represent the kingdom of Assyria with the anti-Christ as its king, we will look at this in another post)
- The kingdom and king who will have a physical appearance of the church or believer of Jesus Christ yet inwardly will act on behalf of the devil. This kingdom and king ruled in the past, it is now not in power but it will rise again at the end of this age to continue the rule of the kingdom who rises from among the people. This kingdom and king rises as the 8th head of the devil. (As a kingdom the 8th head is confirmed in Bible prophecy to be the kingdom of Babylon, we will look at this in detail in another post)