The Chosen place of the redeemed; Mount Zion
Mount Zion is used prophetically to refer to a people, (the redeemed who make the church of Christ) and a place.
As a place, Mount Zion symbolizes the place chosen by God to be the sanctuary of the redeemed and the dwelling place of His Name Jesus Christ, the foundation stone of the church. In the past and current age, Jerusalem is used to prophetically refer to the people of Israel while Mount Zion is used prophetically to refer to the gentiles. Mount Zion is the gentile nation that God spoke of through Moses after Israel had made Him jealous by making and worshiping an idol on their way from Egypt, as it is written:
Deuteronomy 32: 21 They made me jealous by what is no god and angered me with their worthless idols. I will make them envious by those who are not a people; I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
After Israel got to the promised land, they continued with unbelief in God, and just as it is written, ‘ it is impossible to please God without faith’, Israel trusted in things and people that could not save them, and their worship of God became words without the actions. And so the Lord said:
Isaiah 29:13 The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught. 14 Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish.”
Isaiah 28:11 Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people, 12 to whom he said, “This is the resting place, let the weary rest”; and, “This is the place of repose” but they would not listen. 13 So then, the word of the Lord to them will become: Do this, do that, a rule for this, a rule for that; a little here, a little there— so that as they go they will fall backward; they will be injured and snared and captured.
And just as God had prophesied through Moses about a gentile nation through Whom God would use to make Israel envious and thus turn Israel to Him, He chose Mount Zion for it had pleased Him, that Israel’s salvation would come from Mount Zion as it is written;
Psalms 78:67 Then he rejected the tents of Joseph, he did not choose the tribe of Ephraim;68 but he chose the tribe of Judah, Mount Zion, which he loved. 69 He built his sanctuary like the heights, like the earth that he established forever
• Psalms 14:7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!When the Lord restores his people, let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!
It is important to remember, Zion symbolizes the redeemed people who form the church and a place chosen by God. This chosen place is the nation God spoke of that will make Israel envious. When the appointed time came, The Lord chose Zion and so, placed Jesus Christ the Cornerstone of the Church in Zion as it is written;
• Isaiah 28:16, 16 So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic
• Psalms 132:13-14 For the LORD has chosen Zion, he has desired it for his dwelling, saying,14 “This is my resting place for ever and ever; here I will sit enthroned, for I have desired it.
And so, Zion was chosen as (some tribes of) Israel were temporarily rejected until all the prophecies about them come into completion. About Israel, The Lord said;
• Isaiah 65:2 All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations— 3 a people who continually provoke me to my very face, offering sacrifices in gardens and burning incense on altars of brick; 4 who sit among the graves and spend their nights keeping secret vigil; who eat the flesh of pigs, and whose pots hold broth of impure meat; 5 who say, ‘Keep away; don’t come near me, for I am too sacred for you!’ Such people are smoke in my nostrils, a fire that keeps burning all day
And about Zion He says:
• Isaiah 65: “I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, ‘Here am I, here am I.’
- Paul confirms this in Romans 10:19 Again I ask: Did Israel not understand? First, Moses says, “I will make you envious by those who are not a nation; I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding.” 20 And Isaiah boldly says, “I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.” 21 But concerning Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people.
And so, Zion as a place was called as a nation for the sake of Israel, to be a dwelling place of the Name of God Jesus Christ and to witnesses the Goodness of God to Israel and others
• Isaiah 45:4 For the sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me. 5 I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, 6 so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting people may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other.
• Isaiah 62:2-4,6-72 The nations will see your vindication, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will bestow. 3 You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord’s hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. 4 No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah for the Lord will take delight in you,